Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Fresh Coriander Paratha

Fresh Coriander Paratha

I am writing after a long break. I was having some problems in uploading my files to the website. Also I lost my camera in an accident. So I was unable to take pictures of my preparations. I hate posting just recipes without pictures, as it does not give you a clear idea of what it’s going to be like. So I was quiet for some time.

Today I am writing about a simple and tasty paratha. I like (preparing and eating, both) parathas very much, as parathas are easy to make (I am a lazy cook!). And they make a complete healthy meal in itself. So they feature regularly in my kitchen.

The idea of coriander paratha was given by my husband. He went out for a walk and bought 2 big bunches of fresh coriander. We are great fans of coriander. He asked me to make ‘Kusmuda’. Now Kusmuda, according to him, is a side dish. I have never heard of Kusmuda from anyone else. He has tasted it in his childhood and he says it’s a provincial dish. He does not know the exact recipe for it. I have recreated the recipe using his descriptions. The taste is fresh in his memory. We make it sometimes when we get plenty of fresh Coriander. We love it.

That day a thought occurred to me, using Kusmuda as stuffing for paratha and it turned out to be good. So I am sharing this recipe with you.




Ingredients:
For Kusmuda / Stuffing:
1 bunch of fresh coriander
1 tbl spoon chili powder
1/2 tbl spoon chaat masala / sandwich masala
1/4 tbl spoon salt
1 tbl spoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
For cover:
1 cup chappati flour
1/4 tbl spoon salt
Oil
Water

First knead some chapatti dough as you would for normal chapatti. Remember to add 2 tbl spoons of oil before kneading. This will make parathas crispy.
Now chop coriander as finely as you can. Mix chili powder, chat masala, lemon juice and salt to it. This is your stuffing. If you add some oil to it, its called Kusmuda. You can have it as a side dish.
Make parathas as usual using this stuffing. Fry on both sides. Apply ghee if desired. Serve with dal or pickle or anything you like.
Here I have served them with mixed dal and Maththa (masala buttermilk)

Variations: You can add some finely chopped fresh mint leaves in the stuffing.

No comments: