Saturday, July 31, 2010

'Typickle' Kerali Pickle




I first tasted this in Bangalore. Smitha used to bring this every time she visited our hostel. After leaving the hostel I could never get hold of this. And suddenly one day I saw it in a supermarket and brought a packet home. It is called Vaadu Manga. A divine pickle. Everybody at home liked the taste. So this year I tried to make some. And yes, I think I am successful.

I made it in April, when mangoes were still tender. We call them Baal-Kairee in Marathi. I googled for the recipe. I made permutation and combination of all those recipes and came up with a recipe that suited me.

It is pretty simple. Wash tender mangoes. Wipe them dry. Put them in a glass jar along with some salt. After a week or so you will see they are swimming happily in the salt solution. Mangoes will shrink. Then take our some of the liquid and add powdered mustard, red chilly powder, asafoetida and fenugreek seeds powder. Let the pickle mature for 2-3 months. And then it is ready to use.

Three of my good friends come from Kerala. Smitha, Suman and Sree Vidya. Smitha taught me patience, faith and power of worship. Suman was my source of inspiration when I was going through a very difficult phase of my life. We rarely held long conversations but we shared a lot. And Sree Vidya, with whom I shared not only my room but all my happy memories and my anxieties as well. Her friendship is the most cherished gift of those hostel years. I dedicate this post to them. And to our Hot & Sour friendship.

Happy Friendship Day !


No comments: